The manual is divided into nine chapters as follows:
- Project Delivery Requirements
- Signing Design Requirements
- Pavement Marking Design Requirements
- Special Projects Design Requirements
- Construction Revisions
- NCDOT Project Management Requirements
Each chapter contains sections that describe the major components of each chapter in detail. The subsections include written descriptions, links to other resources, detail drawings, etc. The manual itself is not intended to be a printed manual, but it is to be maintained online such that is it always up to date. To see a list and description of the latest revisions click (here). Individual sheets such as field worksheets and drawings are intended to be printable directly from the PDF.