• Single Trip Permits

    Thie NCDOT ARPS Internet Permit Application System provides an easy way to apply for Single Trip Permits valid for one trip over a ten-day period to move vehicles (including load) that exceed maximum legal size or weight over state highways.  Generally a permit is required if:

    • total width is over 8'6",
    • overall height is greater than 13'6",
    • a single vehicle is over 40' or vehicle combination is over 60' in length, or
      (Exception: truck tractor/48-foot semi-trailer combination with no overall length limitation is allowed on all roads and truck tractor/53-foot semi-trailer combination, with no overall length limitation is allowed on all North Carolina primary (NC,US,Interstate) routes unless restricted.)
    • weight exceeds legal weight by NC law​

          Apply for permit online: Application

​The State of North Carolina requires Escort/Pilot Car Drivers to be certified in accordance with Publication E-9 and 19A NCAC 02D.  Please see “Oversize/Overweight Escort Information” below for more detailed information on obtaining a certification.


For current class schedules, please click on the Oversize/Overweight Escort Training Calendar link under the Trucking Links heading on the right hand side of the page.

For questions about Escort Certifications, please call the Oversize/Overweight Permit Unit directly at 919-814-3700 or 1-888-221-8166 or email EVO_Certification@ncdot.gov

  • Permit Assistance

    For questions about Oversize/Overweight permits, please contact the unit directly:


    • For Single Trip Permits: 1-888-574-6683 option 1
    • For Annual or SuperLoad Permits: 1-888-221-8166

    Fax lines:

    • 1-888-222-8347,  (919) 662-4320 or (919) 662-4321


Was this page helpful?