The Manufactured Products Group is responsible for the inspection and approval of metal, concrete, plastic, timber, and composite products and their fabrication facilities. This group is also responsible for the development and management of the RFID/barcode product tracking program and mobile computing applications for sampling, testing, acceptance, and tracking of products, materials, and samples.
Key Staff Members
In 2016 the Materials and Tests Unit implemented a new inspection process utilizing Radio-Frequency Identification (RFID) tags on precast concrete materials. The RFID program involves the producer recording Quality Control information required by NCDOT and saving this information with the RFID tag. Materials and Tests inspectors then review the quality control information before their inspection and records the inspection results with the same RFID tag. Once delivered to a project NCDOT inspectors can use the RFID tag to verify the item has been accepted and is authorized for use on an NCDOT project. In 2018 the program was expanded to include prestressed concrete materials and more materials will be added to the program in the future.
The metals products inspection team is responsible for the following products:
- Galvanized Metal Products including:
- Gray Iron Castings and Welded Steel Frames and Grates
- MSE Wall Metal Straps for Corrosion Monitoring
- Signs and Sign Structures
- Steel Girders, Steel Piles, Expansion Joints, etc.
The metals products inspection team is also responsible for the following inspection and certification schools:
The concrete products inspection team is responsible for the following products:
- Prestressed Concrete Products including:
- Precast Concrete Products including:
- Segmental Retaining Wall Blocks
- Solid Concrete Masonry Bricks and Blocks
Plastic, Timber, and Composite Products
The plastic, timber, and composite products inspection team is responsible for the following products:
- Plastic Pipe Products including:
- High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
- Timber Products including:
- Composite Products including: