Recipients of FTA funds are prohibited from providing exclusive school bus transportation service.
Exclusive Service Prohibited: Recipients of FTA funds are prohibited from providing exclusive school bus transportation services. Exclusive school bus transportation service is defined as any trip provided by a transportation system for which passengers on the vehicle are restricted only to students being transported to or from school or to or from school activities.
Vehicle Leasing: The leasing of vehicles for public school transportation will not be allowed.
Contracted Student Transportation: Contracts with a school system for demand responsive services are allowed if the following conditions are met:
- The demand responsive service is provided for disabled students only;
- The school system agrees in their contract to allow students to be scheduled on public transit vehicles with other public transit passengers;
- The contract is not for charter service;
- The contracted rate covers 100% of the cost;
- Transit has the proper vehicles to provide the service per local school system bus regulations; and,
- Transit has control of its vehicles always; the service is provided during regular operating hours; and the service does not interrupt or interfere with services to the public.
Exemption: Transportation for day care centers and the Head Start Program are not considered school transportation.
Payee is Student or Parents: Any student or parents of a student may make reservations for a trip(s) to school or home from school on a demand responsive service if they are willing to personally pay the fare.
49 CFR Part 605