Sign In

Q1. What tests are performed on aggregates and where do I take them?
A1.    Three labs at the Materials and Tests Central Lab perform aggregate testing:
    • The Asphalt Lab test aggregates used in asphalt mixes,  
Note: Except yearly quality samples, all aggregates may be taken to the Geomaterials Group Central Lab in Raleigh or one of the regional labs across the state. Aggregate samples need to have the appropriate sample tag attached to them.

Q2. What is  Alkali-Silica Reaction (ASR) and what aggregate sources have been known to have issues with this in concrete mixes?

A2. An explaination of what ASR is and the aggregate sources that have had issues with this is explained in this brief​.

Q3. Who do I contact for annual Nuclear Gauge Calibrations?

Q4. Who do I contact in my division with other questions regarding Conventional Density (Soil, ABC) or Density Gauge Questions? 

​A4. Contact the nearest Technical Trainer​ in you area. ​

Q5. Where do I find current unit weights for quarry aggregates?

Q6. Where do I find specific gravity, Absorption, Fineness Modulus, and Sulfate Soundness data for approved aggregate sources?

(This is an Excel Spreadsheet)



Q1. Where can I find information for sampling asphalt materials at the plant site, who is responsible and at what frequency?

A1. Detailed information may be found in Sec​tion 7​ of the Asphalt QMS Manual.


Q2. Where can I find information for testing asphalt related materials,  who is responsible and what test methods are used?

A2. This information may be found in the Lab Testing Services section of the Asphalt Materials and Services Group in this online Materials Manual.  

Also see the "QMS Plant Sampling Schedule"​  in Section 7 of the online QMS Manual.

Q3.  Who may I contact within my division with other Asphalt related questions?

A3.  Start with contacting the Regional Lab​ or Pavement Specialist within your division.  


Q4. What is required for Weighmaster Stamps on Asphalt Load Tickets? 

A4.  See letter dated April 2008 from the N.C. Dept. of Agricultural and Consumer Services​.  See also Section 106-7​ of the NCDOT Construction Manual.


Q1. Where can I find information on approved Anti-Strips?

A1. Refer to the "Approved Anti-Strip Products Link​".  


Q1. Where can I find information on Tack Coat application and inspection?

A1. Refer to the "Tack Coat - Best Practices Field Guide".  For a printed hard copy of this small pocket sized guide, contact the Pavement Specialists Supervisor.


Q2. When may a "Non-Tracking" Tack Coat be applied on a project?

A2. “Non-Tracking” asphalt tack coats may be used at the Contractor’s option based on a new special provision.  The Contractor can select from various non-tracking tack coat products from an approved list maintained by the Materials & Tests Unit.

Click for Approved List for "Non-Tracking" Tack Coats

Unless otherwise specified in the Project Special Provisions, the Contractor may select the grade of tack coat material he anticipates using.  Any approved grades may be used provided the material is accompanied by a certified delivery ticket in accordance with Article 1020 of the Standard Specifications.  The Contractor will advise the Roadway Technician of the actual brand and grade being used and the QA Technician will indicate same on the Asphalt Roadway Technician's Daily Report (M & T Form 605)

See Section 9.3.1 HMA/QMS Manual (2020)


Q1. What is the Asphalt Density Acceptance Process for Bridge Replacements? (i.e. Small Asphalt Quantities)

A1.  See "10.8.2 Small Quantities Density Acceptance Process" QMS Manual.  


Q2. Where could I find information regarding tests that are performed on the project site?  (i.e. Core Density, Nuclear Density, Smoothness Testing)

A2.  Section 9, Section 10 and Section 11 of the QMS manual deal with Asphalt Roadway testing and best paving practices at the project site.


Q1. What type of Density Gauges​ are allowed for use on Asphalt Paving Projects?

A1. The Density Gauges below are allowed for use.  The following links give information on their individual operations.

Q2. Who do I contact for annual Nuclear Gauge Calibrations?

Q3. Who do I contact in my division with other questions regarding Asphalt Density Gauges?​
​A3. Contact the Materials Tests Unit’s Technical Trainer​ in your area.​

Q1. How do you turn in concrete cylinders with the new RFID tag?

NOTE:  Other questions about RFID should be directed to the Materials and Tests Units Field Concrete EngineerMaterial Operations Engineer or the Research and Investigations Engineer.

Q2. Who is the Area Materials Engineer (AME) in my Division?

A2. You can find your Division AME in the NCDOT Materials and Tests under the Key Staff Members in the Field Operations Section.

Q3. What is  Alkali-Silica Reaction (ASR) and what aggregate sources have been known to have issues with this in concrete mixes?
A3. An explaination of what ASR is and the aggregate sources that have had issues with this is explained in this brief​.

Q4. Who is responsible for calibrating Latex Modified Concrete (LMC) mixers?

A4. The Area Materials Engineer (AME) assigned to your Division is responsible for calibrating LMC mixers.

Q5. What is the Minimum Sampling Frequency for Class "B"​ concrete? 

A5.​ See online Concrete Field Tech Study Guide​ on concrete testing frequencies.

Q6.  Who do I contact with questions regarding ​​precast concrete materials?

A6.  The Field Operations section is responsible for inspection of precast concrete plants throughout the state. The NCDOT Vendor system has a database to lookup approved Precast Materials. The Structural Materials Laboratory can be contacted with any questions on precast materials.  Precast plants perform their own testing of precast concrete materials. Materials and Tests also maintains a Google Map of approved Precast Producers and can be found at M&T Manufactured Products Google Maps

Q7.  Who do I contact with questions regarding ​ prestressed concrete materials?

A7.  The Prestressed Concrete Subsection of the Structural Materials Laboratory​. The Prestressed Concrete Subsection is responsible for the plant inspection of all prestressed concrete products used by the Department.  Prestressed Concrete Inspectors perform 100% inspection of the production process – from tensioning, and set up of the beds to de-tensioning and final approval of the completed product. Precast plants perform their own testing of precast concrete materials. Materials and Tests also maintains a Google Map of approved Prestressed Producers and can be found at M&T Manufactured Products Google Maps.

Q8. HiCAMS won't take my Alternate ID on my Material Received Report for Precast or Prestressed Concrete materials. What do I need to do? 

​A8.  See this Hicams FAQ​ for this.  


Q1. Does the Form 312-R​ need to be signed by the contractor prior to submittal to the Mix Design Engineer?

A1. Yes


​Q2.  Do test data results need to be submitted when submitting a new mix design for approval?

A2.  Yes, when there is no previous history of the mix or if any major changes are made as defined by Section 1000-3​ of the specifications.


Q3.  Who needs to submit the 312-R form to the Mix Design Engineer?

A3. The projects Resident Engineer.


Q4.  How many days in advance should a concrete mix design submittal be sent to the Concrete Mix Design Engineer?

A4.  A minimum of 30 days in advance.


Q5.  What if the aggregate source supplying aggregate at my plant is not on the NCDOT approved list?

A5.  You can not produce for NCDOT and must get an approved source to supply your plant with aggregate in compliance with NCDOT Specifications.


Q6.  Do I need to record the actual batch quantities and the individual batch weights?

A6.  Yes, all quantities and weights must be computer generated or hand printed, but must be recorded for each batch produced (policy letter dated August 29, 2000).


Q7.  What certification do I need to batch concrete for NCDOT?

A7. ​All batchers who produce concrete for NCDOT, must keep a current Concrete Field Technician and Concrete Batching Technician Certification.


Q8.  If my Concrete Batch Technician Certification is current, do I need to keep my Field Technician Certificate current?

A8.  It is mandatory to keep both certifications current or you will have all certifications revoked.


Q9. Question: Do I need to perform a moisture content on coarse aggregate?

A9.  Yes, the certified batcher is required to perform moisture contents by the drying method on both fine and coarse aggregate a minimum of twice a day or whenever deemed necessary.  These moisture calculations are to be recorded, documented and stored with the producer’s copy of the batch weight tickets.


Q10.  What if the moisture the batcher computes is different from the moisture the computer indicates?

A10.  The batcher must have the capability to change/update the moisture contents for both fine and coarse aggregate prior to batching.  This correction is to be performed at the batching facility and not at the central dispatch location.


Q11.  What if the moistures are not changed in the computer?

Q11.  The batcher and plant certifications will be investigated.  Pending the investigation, disciplinary actions may be implemented towards the facility.


Q12.  Does the batcher need to review the approved mix design?

A12.  Yes, the certified batcher is responsible for all production of concrete.  All sources of materials should be correct on site and approved by NCDOT.  If any producer / facility source on the mix design is different than on site, you must submit a new mix design or get the approved materials. 


Q13.  What paperwork is required on the materials?

A13.  The plant is responsible for and must supply current copies of certifications for all cement, fly ash, slag, fine and coarse aggregates, all admixtures, and the water source.  In addition, all sources must be on the “NCDOT Approved List​”.


Q14.  How does the DOT keep track of mix designs?

A14.  By use of two electronic databases. The Concrete Mix Design database is a plant-by-plant list of mix designs accepted for each plant. Data on each mix design includes mix number, class, proportions, mix properties, material sources, and material properties. Acceptance of a mix design in this database does not constitute its acceptance for any contract. Assignment of mix designs to contracts involves a separate submittal, review and acceptance procedure via the Concrete Mix Contract Assignment database. Mix designs must be in the Concrete Mix Design database to qualify for assignment to a contract. 

Upon written request from the Engineer for specific mix designs to be assigned to a contract, the Physical Testing Engineer reviews and assigns these mix designs in the Concrete Mix Contract Assignment database. This database shows the list of mix designs assigned to each contract. Requests for mix design approval for contracts outside the scope of HiCams are handled similarly except that the Concrete Mix Contract Assignment database is not used, in which case approved hard copies are returned to the Engineer for distribution.


Q15.  How do I submit a mix design for the Mix Design database? 

A15.  Complete Materials and Tests Form 312U (English units only) and e-mail it to the Concrete Mix​ Design Engineer and carbon copy the Structural Materials Laboratory Supervisor.


Q16.  How do I submit mix designs for a contract?

A16.  It is the contractor’s responsibility to submit such requests to the DOT Resident Engineer administering the contract. The contractor should request the concrete producer to complete M & T Form 312R, Mix Design Request Form, for each plant he plans to use to supply concrete and forward these forms to him for submittal to the Engineer.


Q17.  My ACI Certification is good for another year, but my Field Technician certification​ expired this year. May I continue to test concrete and batch concrete for another year (provided my Batch Certification is good for another year)?

A17.  Once the Field Technician Certification expires, all DOT certifications associated with it expire. While the ACI certification may still be current, NCDOT requires a current Field Technician certification for testing sampling and producing concrete. The ACI is a component of the Field Technician certification.


Q18.  My truck driver who is field tech certified informed me the concrete was not sampled properly during acceptance testing by project personnel. What should I do?

A18.  Once an error of this type is exposed, immediately notify the project personnel.  In addition, inform the M&T Concrete Technician of the problem. Document the specific procedure you feel was run incorrectly. Keep a record including date, ticket number, project, and structure where the concrete is placed.


Q19.  Do I physically have to be present in the batch room when concrete is batched for a NCDOT project? May I be on the premises, monitoring the batch process via two-way radio? 

A19.  The batcher must be physically present during batching of concrete on a NCDOT project. The certified batcher should be the one actually batching the concrete, not supervising someone who is not certified.


Q20.  I just discovered the wrong mix design was used to batch concrete for a NCDOT project.  Whom do I notify about this mistake? Will I lose my certification?

A20.  Once an error of this type is discovered, immediately notify project personnel. The M&T concrete technician should also be informed of the error. Depending on the circumstances, the error will not necessarily lead to loss of your certification. The batcher should still maintain all required documentation. The M&T 903​​ form should reflect the mix design that was used. The worst possible thing to do in this case is to attempt to alter records to cover up the mistake. 


Air Pots

Q1. How do NCDOT employees order Air Pots and other concrete field sampling equipment?

A1. Air Pots can be ordered using the Concrete Air Pot Request Form. Division Personnel are strongly encouraged to contact their Division Section Materials Specialist when ordering Air Pots.  Other Concre​te Equipment can be ordered through the Materials and Tests Stockroom using a Master Form M&T 100 (Requisition Form).

Beam Breakers

Q1.  How much advance notice is required to request for delivery, setup, and calibration of a flexural beam machine?

A1.  2 weeks minimum advance notice is requested by email to the Structural Materials Laboratory Supervisor.

Q2.  How long is a calibration good for?

A2.  A calibration is good for a year as long as the flexural beam machine has not been moved. A 2 weeks’ notice for recalibration is required by email to the Structural Materials Laboratory Supervisor.


Q3.  Can a beam machine be relocated after calibration has been performed?

A3.  No. Once a machine is moved the original calibration becomes void and a recalibration is necessary.
Chase Indicators
Q1.  What is the procedure for getting chase indicators calibrated?

A1. Contact the Structural Materials Laboratory Supervisor via email at least 48 hours in advance. At the time of delivery, up to 25 new chase indicators can be swapped out, eliminating the need for a return trip to pick up the chase indicators.

Q2.  Can more than 25 new chase indicators be dropped off for calibration?
A2.  Yes. Contact the Structural Materials Laboratory Supervisor via email. It could take up to 10 business days for more than 25 chase indicators to be calibrated as the laboratory may not be able to swap out more than 25 chases indicators at one time.

Q3. Can used chase indicators be re-calibrated?
A3.  Yes. Contact the Structural Materials Laboratory Supervisor via email. Please allow at least 10 business days for chase indicators to be recalibrated.

Q4.  Where can I drop off my chase indicators for calibration and recalibration?
A4.  Chase indicators can be dropped off at the Structural Materials Laboratory Office (previously the Concrete Laboratory Office) at 1801 Blue Ridge Road. Please contact the Structural Materials Laboratory Supervisor via email prior to dropping off or swapping chase indicators out. 


Q1. How frequent are Turbidimeters calibrated?
A1. Turbidimeters should be calibrated every 6 months. Turbidimeters can be dropped off to the Structural Materials Laboratory- Chemical Sub-section lab or sent via Courier Mail: 1563MSC.  Attn: Structura​l Materials Laboratory Supervisor.

Q2.  How will I know that my Turbidimeter is due for a calibration?
A2.  Each Turbidimeter has a sticker with the expiration date.  A calibration is good for 6 months. An email is also sent to the point of contact stating that the meter is due for calibration.

Q3. How long does it take to have my Turbidimeter calibrated?
A3.  Please allow 3 business days for your Turbidimeter to be calibrated.  Sending your Turbidimeter via Courier service could extend the amount of turnaround time for you to receive your calibrated meter. 


Q1.  What happened to the Chemical and Physical Laboratories?

A1.  The Chemical and Physical Laboratories are now sub-sections of the Structural Materials Laboratory under the supervision of the Structural Materials Laboratory Supervisor​.

Q2.  Where do I deliver samples for the Chemical and Physical Laboratories?
A2.  The samples for the Physical Lab should still be delivered to the Concrete Laboratory of the Physical Lab.  Samples for the Chemical Lab with the exception of Paint, Chlorides and Asphalt Binder samples should be physically delivered to the Concrete Lab.
Q3.  If I am physically delivering the Chemical Lab’s samples to the Physical Lab can I note this in HiCAMS?
A3.  No. Chemical Lab samples should be submitted to the Chemical Lab in HiCAMS.

Q4.  What is the typical testing turnaround time for samples submitted to the Structural Materials Laboratory?
A4.  The typical testing turnaround times vary for each sample. See Lab T​e​sting Services.

Q5.  How should RFID tags be attached to samples coming to the Structural Materials Laboratory?
A5.  See the RFID procedures​.   

Q1.  Where do I find information on Pipe installation / specifications?

A1.  The online Standard Specifications Book (Section 300- Installation), (Section 1032 - Pipe Materials​​), and Standard Drawings​.

Also, see the online Drainage Users Manual​ for more information on pipe installation and handling.​

Q2.  What is the Acceptance Process for Corrugated Metal Pipe?

A2.  See this Memo "Corrugated Metal Pipe​" concerning the acceptance process.

Q3.  What tests are performed on HDPE Pipe?

A3.  HDPE pipe is tested in the Structural Materials Laboratory of the Central Laboratory Section.  There is also a QC/QA Program​ for HDPE Pipe.​

Q​4.  How to I request a Pipe Inspection for installed pipe.

A4.  The Research and Investigations Unit has video equipment to visually inspect installed pipe in the field for any potential or existing problems.  Fill out and send a "Investigations Inspection Calendar and Request Form​" to the Materials and Tests Data Collection and Investigations Section.


Q5.  How do I request a SID inspection?

A5.  Fill out and send a "Investigations Inspection Calendar and Request Form​" to the Materials and Tests Data Collection and Investigations Section​​.​


Q6.  Where can I find approved vendors and suppliers for plastic and metal pipe?

A6. ​Materials and Tests maintains a Google Map of approved Plastic and Metal Pipe Producers and can be found at M&T Manufactured Products Google Map. 


Q1.  Which Lab tests steel products? 

A1.​  The Central Lab's Structural Materials Laboratory perform various tests on Steel products to be used in NCDOT projects.  There is also a QC/QA Program​ for Epoxy Coated Reinforcing Steel.


Q1.  Which Lab performs tests on structural products?

A1.​  The Central Lab's Structural Materials Laboratory​ tests structural steel and other structural items. See the Approved Products List for "Structures".  (Select from Product Group Drop Down Menu)  The Minimum Sampling Guide​ (MSG) lists required sampling frequency and required material certifications. (Ex. Structural Steel)


Q1.  Who is responsible for the oversight of Buildings within NCDOT such as Rest Areas?

A1.  The Quality Systems Unit reviews items associated with these type projects as well as any other projects that are State / Federally funded for Project Certification.  Project Personnel (Resident Engineers Staff) perform regular testing for Concrete (Building Slab), Asphalt (Parking Area), etc.  Building codes and inspection belong to the individual county / city municipalities.  All materials, testing and inspection documentation is submitted to Materials and Tests Quality Systems Unit to insure compliance with NCDOT, City or County, as well as any Federal regulations / standards.

There are also items in the Materials & Tests Minimum Sampling Guide for "Buildings" and "Rest Areas".​

Q1. Do fencing materials have to be sampled on the project?
A1. Fencing materials (and other materials) delivered to a project without proper paperwork or hasn't been checked at the suppliers facility has to be sampled on site and sent to the M&T Lab for testing.

Q2. What fence items need to be tested / entered into Hicams?

A2. See Fencing Materials (Lab Testing Services​) under the Structurals Group.  Also see "Reference for Entering Fence Articles in HiCAMS for Chemical Lab Submittals"

Q1. How do I know the correct application for different types of engineering fabric / textile?

A1​. See following recent Standard Specification or Provision:

NCDOT Standard Specifications, Section 1056 - Geosynthetics and Geotechnical Standard Provision #11 - Geotextile for Pavement Stabilization.

Click here for a list of approved Geotextile Materials.  

Q1. Where do I find information for Grading?

A1. Refer to Section 226​ of the NCDOT Standard Specifications (Earthwork) and also Section 200​ of the NCDOT Construction Manual.

Q1. Where do I find information for Grout, it's applications and if it's approved or not?

A1. Refer to the Approved Products List ("Product Catagory Dropdown") and also Section 1003 of the Standard Specifications.

Q1. Where do I find information for Guardrail and if it's approved or not?

A1. See the following policy, requirements, and Standard Drawings regarding guardrail:
Policy Letters


​​Guardrail related items have minimum sampling requirements in the Minimum Sampling Guide and suppliers have to be on the Approved Producer / Supplier​ list. (select from "Facility Type" dropdown box). Materials and Tests also maintains a Google Map of approved Guardrail Producers and can be found at M&T Vendor/Suppliers Google Maps. There is also information in Sect​ion 862​ of the Standard Specifications for guardrail.


Q1.  What requirements are there for Landscaping items?

A1.​  The Minimum Sampling Guide requires manufacturer's certifications and test reports for Landscaping​ items. The Roadside Environmental Section​ is responsible for most post-construction landscaping.


Q1.  Are there requirements for Lighting and Electrical items?

A1.​  The Minimum Sampling Guide requires manufacturer's certifications and test reports for Lighting / Electrical items.


Q1. How do I know what material certifications should be provided and by whom for different materials delivered to a project?

A1.  See the different material certification types in Section 106-3 of the Specifications and this 2012 Workshop​ presentation with examples of material types received on a project.


Q2. How old is too old for a material certification?  Do they have an expiration date?

A2. This would depend on the material and if it's accepted on the basis of a lot, heat number or batch. Contact the Area Materials Engineer​ in your division for assistance.


Q3. Can a Material Certification Type (ie Type 1) be used in lieu of another Material Certification Type? (ie Type 4)

A3. No.  Even though they are similiar (as the note mentions in Type 4 here) they are not interchangeable.


Q4. Are Material Data Sheets, or similar, considered acceptable for certifications when materials are received?

A4. No. If the minimum sampling guide requires you to have a certification then one must be obtained.  Also check the Minimum Sampling Guide​ for any material (s) in question.  (Select Material from Product Group Dropdown)


Q5. How do I check to see if a producer is approved to supply products / materials for NCDOT projects?

A5. NCDOT maintains a Producer / Supplier​ database.  Click on the "Facility Type" dropdown.  For other questions, contact the Materials ​and Tests Field Operations Engineer or an Area Materials Engineer in your Division.​ 


Q1.  What is required for Paints and Coatings in relation to Bridges and Structures?

A1.  There is an Approved List of Paints and Coatings for Bridges and Structures.  There is also a class conducted by the M&T Lab for "Bridge Coating Inspection - Level I".  Contact the Coatings and Corrosions Engineer​ for further questions. 

Q2. What paint is approved for use on NCDOT projects?

A2. See the Approved Paint Suppliers list.  This list shows the approved paint suppliers.

Q3. Can I just use any paint that is on the Approved Paint Suppliers’ list?

A3.  No. Any paint manufacturer may furnish paint for NCDOT work providing the paint is manufactured and inspected in accordance with Section 1080 of the Standard Specifications. According Section 442, each batch of paint to be used on the project must be tested prior to use. Only the Self Curing Inorganic Zinc Paint is pre-qualified, see Section 1080-7​.

Q4. How can a manufacturer get on the Approved Paint Suppliers’ list?

Q5. Does the Self Curing Inorganic Zinc Paint require re-qualification after it is pre-qualified?

A5. Yes. Each Self Curing Inorganic Zinc Paint product requires a re-qualification every 5 years.


Q1. What are the safety precautions to take when sampling Quick Lime or Hydrated Lime?

A1. Due to the highly combustible nature of this material when it is mixed with water following the sampling procedure will help keep the sampler and the lab technicians safe.  There have been occurrences in the past in which these lime samples got wet during transit to the laboratory which led to the sample bags melting, corrupting the sample, and endangering laboratory personnel.  

1. Only sample 3 pounds of lime for each sample
2. Double bag the sample in clear plastic bags and secure with a tie wrap or place the sample in a 1 gallon or ½ gallon wide mouth plastic jug.


Q1.  What is required for traffic signals?  Are they tested?

A1.  The M&T Central Lab does assist the Traffic Services Group​ from time to time. The Lab has equipment for testing LED traffic signals for Luminescence / Brightness. Contact the Structural Materials Lab Supervisor in the Structural Services Unit for this service or questions.

Further information for signals may be found in Section 1098 of the Standard Specifications under "Signals and Intelligent Transportation Systems".  The Minimum Sampling Guide has information on signals and what material certifications are required. 


Q1.  What tests are performed on structural products?

A1.​  The Central Lab test structural steel and other structural items. See the Approved Products List for "Structures".  (Select from Product Group Drop Down Menu)  The Minimum Sampling Guide​ lists required sampling frequency and required certifications. (Ex. Structural Steel)


Q1.  Is there a list of Approved Timber Inspection Companies?  

A1.​  Yes.  See this 2015 list of Approved Timber / Lumber Companies.​


Q1.  Where could I find approved work zone traffic control products?  Are material certifications required?

A1.​  Approved Work Zone Traffic control items may be found in the Approved Products List (Product Group Drop Down Menu).  Material Certifications are required per the Minimum Sampling Guide​ (Ex. Barricades).


Q1.  Where could I find information on various utility products that may be used on a project?

A1.​  A number of Utilities are in the Approved Products List (Product Group Drop Down Menu).

Other MaterialsFAQ-00-06Approved


NCDOT representatives have the ability to search for AASHTO and ASTM standards using the ASTM Compass Online Database with their access to the Inside NCDOT website.  Below are instructions for locating the link to the ASTM Compass on the Inside NCDOT website.





Online Standards - AASHTO/ASTMFAQ-00-07Approved




Q1.  What is involved in the Project Certification process?

A1.  The "Project Certification Session" from the 2012 Engineers Workshop gives a good overview of the project certification process.  A large part of this process involves a Materials Certification Review as found in the NCDOT Construction Manual. (Records Section)


Q2.  What testing requirements and frequencies are required for small projects like Greenways and Bike Paths?

A2.  There is a Modified Minimum Sampling Guide specifically for projects of this type that are usually administered by Local Government Agencies (LGA's) which receive Federal and/or State funding.  Other information on Locally Adminis​te​red Projects​ can be found in the NCDOT Construction Manual as well as the NCDOT Local Projects Administration​ website.


Q3.  What items need to be submitted for a Local Government Agency (LGA) to complete the Material Certification process for a given project?

A3.  Local Government Agencies should review "Material Certification" requirements for LGA administered projects.


Q4.  Where can I check to see if a new supplier or producer is approved for supplying products or materials for NCDOT projects?

A4.  You can check the Approved Producers List which is updated frequently. Click on the "Facility Type" dropdown.  You can also contact one of the key staff members for the Field Operations​ section.​

​ ​
Producer/Supplier Facility Approval and Material CertificationsFAQ-01-00Approved

Q1. Can Requisition Forms be sent to the stockroom electronically?

A1. Yes, if fully completed and signed by the proper authority.


Q2.  What is the turn around time for filling orders?

A2.  Generally same day - next day delivery.  Allow 3 day preparation time for "Scale Kits" and Volume Meter Assemblies.  "Scale Kits" have to be picked up at the Stockroom due to cost and sensitivity of scales.


Q3.  How do I receive items that are ordered?

A3.  Orders are generally shipped by Courier or they may be picked up at the Stockroom.


Q4.  What should I do if I need items not listed on the requisition form(s)?.

A4.  Use the write-in section and list the items and quantities (Contact Stockroom before ordering Ph: ​(919) 329-4050).


Q5.  Can the 5 item limit be exceeded for items on the requisition form?

A5.  Only if justified in writing and approved by the Stockroom manager. (Contact Stockroom before ordering Ph: ​(919) 329-4050).


Q6.  What should I do with old, broken or excess Density Equipment that is not used or needed?.

A6.  Return to stockroom with Form M&T 102​.  If ordering replacements, also send M&T 101 to request these.  It is preferable that a Geomaterials representative from M&T inspect and recommend items to be replaced when filling out the M&T 102 form.​


​Q1. How do I find an RFID / Alternate ID on a Field Inspector Report?

A1. Clink here and follow the instructions. RFID / Alternate ID​

  • If FIR report status is not Authorized,  Alternate Id cannot be used on a record.
  • Material on FIR must match material on CBOM
  • Alternate Id number must be AVAILABLE to be used on Project, if it is IN USE it has been assigned to another project. 

Field Inspection ReportsFAQ-02-04Approved

Q1. What do I do when I am unable to upload my QAP Report?

A1. Make sure the Excel Spreadsheet has been saved as a .csv file. A .xls file cannot be uploaded successfully.

The Report Columns on the .csv file are required in this order:

• Qcqaprogram
• Facility
• Matl
• Sample No
• Stockpile Nbr
• Sample by Id
• Ran by Id
• Report Date
• Quantity


Q2. Where can I find the QAP Registration Form online:

A2. Click on QAP Registration Form.


Q1. How do I find an RFID on a Field Inspection Report for Precast Concrete Material?

A1. Once in the HiCAMS application follow the steps in the procedure below:

  1. Click on Inquiries
  3. Click Query Tools
  5. Select Field Inspection Reports - Precast Concrete
  7. Click the yellow folder in the toolbar
  9. Find the Query Name: Precast Concrete Alt. ID Search RFID, highlight and Click OK.
  11. In the Criteria Columns where Alternate ID = Like, type the RFID Value 1c0150*4531 and Click Generate.
Note: This example is found on Report ID #65518​

For assistance with any questions for Alternate ID's, notify the Materials and Products Tracking Engineer.​ For any other HiCAMS related questions, email​​​


Q1. How do I find an Alternate ID​ once it has already been used on a project?

A1.  Once in the HiCAMS application​ follow the process below to find an Alternate ID "IN USE" status on a Project:         

  1. Go to INQUIRIES
  5. Select Materials Receipts​
  7. There is a Saved Query in HiCAMS - Click Folder Icon
  9. Select saved query "Alternate ID Lookup_RFID​"
  11. Click OK
  13. Type in Alternate ID with * asterisk (Example: 1C01720000000000000005432 would be entered as: 1C0172*05432)
  15. Click Generate. Rows of data will appear, record the Contract number, Line Item and Materials Receipt number associated to your Alternate Id.
  17. Double click on the row, the application will navigate you to the Review Materials Receipt window.
  19. Type Contract Number and Line Item Number
  21. Locate the MRR number.  View data on the MRR record, on the Alternate Id tab you will see the Alternate Id information, the History tab will indicate who created the record including the date.
  23. For assistance with any questions for Alternate ID's or to confirm whether the use of the Alternate ID is accurate on a contract, notify the Materials and Products Tracking Engineer. For any other HiCAMS related questions, email Hicams_s​
    [top of page]

Query ToolsFAQ-02-08Approved