In 2017 the N.C. Department of Transportation created a Statewide Multimodal Freight Plan that set goals and strategies to improve economic competitiveness, increase jobs and enhance quality of life. While progress has been made on the freight-specific recommendations outlined in that plan, the 2022 North Carolina Statewide Multimodal Freight Plan Update will look to the future by:
- Addressing recent changes in the freight market
- Identifying ways to enhance economic development opportunities and competitiveness through more streamlined freight movement
- Improving freight system efficiency and reliability while enhancing safety and security
- Identifying and implementing new freight technologies to improve reliability and efficiency
- Meeting new federal requirements identified in the latest Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL) as well as the previous requirements under the Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act which ensures that North Carolina can utilize National Freight Program funds. The act requires states to develop comprehensive freight plans and encourages them to establish freight advisory committees. North Carolina has established a Statewide Freight Advisory Committee as well as six Regional Freight Advisory Councils .
The N.C. Department of Transportation is updating the Statewide Multimodal Freight Plan and would like your help identifying issues and future opportunities with freight movement in North Carolina. Your input will help guide the Freight Plan Update and identify ways that NCDOT can support efficient and effective movement of freight. Please take a moment and respond to the following questions. The survey will be available through Friday, June 17, 2022 at https://publicinput.com/freightsurvey .